Thousands of cyberattacks are carried out every day and the health care industry isn’t immune to this growing trend. In fact, it’s a prime target for hackers.
Russ Branzell, the president and CEO of the College of Healthcare Information Executives, is the featured contributor for episode 6 of The Cerner Podcast. CHIME has a Cybersecurity Center and Program Office, which helps health care organizations deal with cyber threats and better protect patient data and information systems.
Russ answers these five questions in this episode:
- Cybersecurity is a ‘hot topic’ both inside and outside of the health care industry. How is CHIME mitigating these threats? What are you hearing from your members regarding cyber threats?
- What are some examples of ‘threats’ you’ve either experienced or learned of through members? What do you think is the biggest cyber threat to healthcare currently (e.g. domestic, foreign)?
- What barriers and challenges do you see to protecting patient information and/or general safety concerns against cyberattacks?
- There is a lot to be learned from other industries (e.g., financial/banking) regarding mitigating cybersecurity threats. What do you think are the biggest lessons we can learn and how should they be implemented organizationally to decrease chances of a breach?
- What should be done to better address the challenges now and over the next decade? How does the continued development of new technology play into this?
Listen to Russ's episode below, and never miss a podcast by following Cerner on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn!